Stephanie (Bookfever. ♥)'s Reviews > Poison Princess

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Jun 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: owned-physical-books, romance, young-adult, paranormal

I have so much to say about Poison Princess but I'll try keeping it short. This was another random decision to read. I've had this book on my shelf since it came out so I figured it was time. I don't regret reading it but on the other hand I had expected different things from it. This book wasn't totally bad, though. It had a lot good aspects.

Starting Poison Princess I was really excited because that first chapter was pretty good. It was weird because I had no idea what the hell was going on but I liked it. Then it decended into a spiral of teenage high school drama and one whiny and lame main character. She was just so spoiled and annoying and stereotypical. Yes, I disliked Evie a lot. A LOT. But the good thing was that I actually really liked bad boy Jackson. All of this changed toward the end of the book, believe it or not. I ended up liking Evie more and more, as the book went on. She actually grew as a character and found out who she was. But I ended up loathing Jackson. Sure, I love bad boys but the things he said and did were all kinds of questionable and I can only handle so much before drawing a line and saying, no go away! So we can say that this book took such a turn for me in the sense of liking and disliking certain characters, which was very surprising. And don't even get me started about the minor characters. Some of them *cough* Selena *cough* I wanted to seriously hurt. I did like Matthew and Finn, though!

Characters aside, Poison Princess did have a very good concept with the major arcana stuff. At first it was rather confusing but the more the pieces started fitting the puzzle the more into it I got. The writing was also really good in my opnion. I sometimes even got honest to god chills. There are some pretty creepy scenes. And I do love creepy stuff in books.

So basically some of the lame characters, their conversations, their egos and their selfishness got in the way for me to truly love this book. The concept and writing were all pretty good for me though and the end was really interesting so that's what ultimately saved this book from failing completely. I also must say that I'm pretty excited to see how it will continue from here on out. So I'll be definitely reading the second book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Princess.

Quotes Stephanie (Bookfever. ♥) Liked

Kresley Cole
“And all he wants is to throw a rager in your sugar mill?" Then she frowned. "Wow. That sounded raunchy.”
Kresley Cole, Poison Princess

June 21, 2012 – Shelved
July 16, 2013 – Shelved as: owned-physical-books
May 13, 2014 – Started Reading
May 14, 2014 –
page 61
16.53% "I'm not a fan of Evie but I like the writing and Jackson is pretty hot! *continues reading*"
May 15, 2014 –
page 233
63.14% "I can't seem to stop reading!"
May 16, 2014 –
page 267
72.36% "How can I go from loving to hating a character so fast? Tsk!"
May 17, 2014 – Shelved as: romance