Glenn Myers's Reviews > Airhead: The Imperfect Art of Making News

Airhead by Emily Maitlis

I fancied this book after reading the first paragraph in a Saturday morning browse through Waterstone's and eventually downloaded it as an audiobook. It's the background story to some of her most notable interviewing adventures on Newsnight on the BBC. I have never watched Newsnight (past my bedtime) but I thoroughly enjoyed this-- the counterpoint without the melody, as it were, and one or two of her accounts had me scurrying to YouTube to see how the interview turned out - particularly Emma Thompson on the Weinstein affair.

Emily Maitlis is smart, thoughtful, warm, decent, funny, compassionate and kind and she is great company as she steers us around the views from her side of the mic. As often these days, one wonders if the publishers edit books any more. Not that too much needed doing on this title, but it would have been nice if she'd described umbrellas (in Hong Kong's Umbrella Protest) as 'hemispheres', which is what they are, rather than 'semi-circles', which would be pretty useless in an umbrella, unless you were standing against a wall, perhaps so that you could be conveniently shot or tear-gassed by the uniformed defenders of the people.

A minor quibble. If journalists are the immune system in the body politic, this really enjoyable book shows that the health-giving immune reactions to power -- courteous, critical inquiry-- aren't yet defunct. Good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Airhead.

September 2, 2020 – Started Reading