John Maberry's Reviews > Hippie at Heart: What I Used To Be, I Still Am

Hippie at Heart by Lynne Zotalis

bookshelves: memoir

On a 30th anniversary trip to Mexico, her beloved husband dies on a beach of an apparent heart attack. That's an opening frame in this memoir of discovery in her home state of Minnesota. As many youth in the sixties, she finds escape in a variety of drugs readily available then and well into the seventies and beyond. Miraculously, she encounters the love of her life in that world.

The title exemplifies the life the author and the man who would become her husband led for some time--the counterculture rejection of the staid life normal parents led. I didn't go quite so far as they did--building a log cabin in the middle of nowhere. Yet, I can identify. Especially in the rejection of the traditional cultural and political values. The two found a very different spiritual path than I did--one I could never in my wildest nightmares have adopted. One so far from the drug culture that they had been a part of. Still, you will find that--and their eventual departure from it, a very intriguing journey.

If you can't find this book engrossing, you must be from a very different place. Not just a time, but a culture. It's well-written and should keep you wanting to know what happens next. Despite knowing the end, it's how Zotalis gets there that is where the rich tapestry of this story lies.

Oddly enough, we might have met decades ago--or at least been at the same Zappa and the Mothers concert in the Depot, a former bus depot that briefly became a club for music and dance in Minneapolis in 1970-71. We might have been neighbors in South Minneapolis as well--hard to say. But then, those girls in their early twenties and guys as well had certain features in common--long hair on both, freak or hippie styled clothes and beards on the guys.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hippie at Heart.

August 31, 2020 – Shelved