Adrian Coombe's Reviews > Black Cranes: Tales of Unquiet Women

Black Cranes by Lee Murray

As the excellent forward by Alma Katsu reminds us, there is a natural pairing of Asian women and horror and this collection doesn't disappoint. As with all anthologies, with various authors, some will stick more with you than others, and there is a great assortment here, from near fantasy to straight horror, with some sci fi elements as well.

A particular highlight for me was Phoenix Claws, a super horror that blends the taut seriousness of family acceptance and the cultural significance of food. It really keeps a great pace throughout and stood out in this stellar collection. This alone is worth the purchase.

At the other end, style wise, Fury wraps up a what starts as a fairly familiar zombie story with a great female protagonist into a great thought provoking ending. As she overcomes the odds, is the goal she is aiming for what she is expecting?

There's even a nod to the Cluthu mythos in Truth Is Order and Order Is Truth which is a great cosmic mythology based short, another highlight.

Kapre, a love story was almost like a fever dream in reading. Beautiful writing.

Finally, without wanting to mention every story, A PET IS FOR LIFE has a great twist at the end, which really I should have seen coming but I was too wrapped up in the story to notice. Just what I look for in a short.

I am fairly naive on the Asian culture, so was very keen to read something different, and I really enjoyed this collection. Would really recommend it.

I am grateful for the Editor who gave me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Cranes.

August 31, 2020 – Started Reading