Autumn Byrd's Reviews > Mexican Gothic

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

bookshelves: adult, historical, mystery, ownvoices, thriller, horror

Reviews to check out: Sofia , Sarahi , Sofia , Riza

Content/Trigger Warnings: Incest, attempted rape, gore/body horror, child sacrifice, human sacrifice, murder, death, racism, fetishisation, eugenics, mentions of loss of parent (in the past), mentions of stroke (in the past), talk of colonization, mentions of epidemics (in the past), mentions of homocide (in the past), sexism, physical assault, scene of seizures, mentions of miscarriages (in the past), mentions of divorce (in the past), child abuse (in the past, beatings with a cane), attempted murder, cannibalism, trauma, sexual assault, gaslighting

Yes, it's true, this is the first book I'm not giving a rating to. I know, it's a big shocker because I usually rate every book, no matter how good or bad they are. Yet, this is the first book that's caused a stir within me that I should state that I'm not the target audience for this book. I'm typically not a horror or thriller reader and so I feel that if I give this book a rating, it's unfair to the author and the book itself. In truth, this isn't a bad book, it's definitely a book that's not for everyone, but this book does an excellent job in the genre it was published for.

This story is about Noemí Taboada, a twenty-something young woman from a wealthy family from Mexico City, who upon receiving a frantic and disturbing letter from her cousin, departs for High Place, where she's to investigate what's really happening and determine if her cousin needs to be brought home. Upon arrival, Noemí will find countless rules thrust upon her by her cousin's husband's family. But the longer Noemí stays at High Place, the stranger things become and soon, Noemí might find it impossible to leave.

The writing of this book is unique and the story-line is a slow burn kind of horror. It's been a month since I read this book and I still can't forget the contents of this book. This isn't just a slow build, this book doesn't hold back from building up an atmosphere and as you read, things become more disturbing. However, it gets very graphic, very gory, and if you're not someone who typically reads horror (like myself) then this book may be a shock to the system.

However, if you're someone who's looking for a ownvoices read, that's set in the 1950's, reads similarly to dark academy books, and is sure to send chills down your spine, then I can't recommend picking this book up during fall and spooky season. With the beautifully unique and atmospheric writing of the author, I have no doubt that this book will be making it on to many top books for 2020.

Blog|Instagram|YouTube|Ko-fi

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mexican Gothic.

August 30, 2020 – Shelved