Giano Cromley's Reviews > Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain

Jun 20, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I hate the term "Great American Novel." It's a trite phrase that's really just an easy way of saying something was good and written by an American. However, every once in a while, a novel comes along that embodies what the phrase really means: A great book that illuminates what it means to be an American at a certain pivotal point in our history -- in all its confusion, heartbreak, disappointment and fleeting glory. Without reservation, I can say that this book is truly a great American novel.
Readers are given a glimpse into the mind of a young man who has risked his life in the service of unknowable political machinations, and what we're left with is the tender, confused spirit at his core. Honestly, my words here can't do justice to just how great this book is. Do yourself a favor and get this it. Then set aside a couple days where you can just curl up and let it wash over you. I found myself carried along on its rhythms and felt like I knew something more about life than I did before I'd read it, which is a true treat and a great literary feat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.