Jen 's Reviews > The Infects

Jun 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: didn-t-finish, bea-naiba-2012
Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I received an Advanced Reading Copy of this book from the owner of the bookstore I work at and asked to read the book and write a review on it. Please note that this review is my opinion and does not reflect the thoughts and feelings of the Booktrader of Hamilton owner or other employees. Please note, some *spoilers* may follow.

I am into zombies, I'm a Dead Head. This book, however, did not grab me. I think it may be due to the main character and his POV. I am not a guy, so to read the unfiltered thoughts of a guy didn't resonate with me. I also did not like most of the characters in the book, but I don't think they were supposed to be liked. For example, the main character's father, "The Dude" was a horrible father. His son was the one taking care of him, not the other way around. I felt pity for the kid, who did his best to work hard and make money to pay for the meds his little sister was on. You could tell that he really loved her and tried to connect with her as best as he could, despite her issues. The mom left a long time ago and I was very mad at her for leaving her kids to the apathy of the father.

So the character development was excellent with the humans, up to a certain point. I admit, I snuck a peek at the end of the book and was very disappointed that the main character ended up letting the girl he liked turn him into a zombie so he could turn the people in the compound they were in. I admit, I didn't read what led up to that, but I don't think I would let someone, no matter how much I loved them, turn me into a zombie with them. O, and the new zombies could think and were raising an army up or something. I know, I know, I didn't read it all, so I didn't get the full picture, but the ending so disheartened me, I just couldn't bring myself to read the rest of it.

All in all, the only issue I had with this book was that it changed the zombie lore from what I know and love to something different that, upon further reflection, I still do not like. Maybe I'm just "old-fashioned", but I like my zombie slow, dumb and creepy. If the zombies are fast or smart or both, they are ghouls, not zombies.

This author had a keen grasp on how to write believable and even detestable characters. That is a gift. I'm not too keen on the stream of consciousness from the POV of the main character, it was jumpy and didn't make much sense to me, but then again, I'm not a teenage boy and never have been, so that might explain why I don't fully understand it.

All in all, three solid stars. I would definitely pick up something else by this author, just to see what ideas he's throwing a new spin on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infects.

01/01/2016 marked as: didn-t-finish