Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Jun 20, 2012

bookshelves: historical, romance, young-adult
Read from June 12 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy

This book could have been a far star but dropped to probably a 3.5 for me for just two reasons. The story was wonderful, the development of a romance between Scarlet and Robin was so well done and played out. It gave so much insight into the character of them both, and was far above the way some of the romances in books happen. This is the first novel for this author and I will watch to see what she does next as she has great possibilities.

The story was intriguing as it is of course a totally different take on Robin Hood. Well, not entirely but definitely different. Scarlet pretends to be a boy although Robin's small band know what she is. She is a very accomplished thief and skilled with a sword and dagger. Little John is John Little and in a sort of way there is a triangle as John is very much interested in Scarlet. Scarlet is all about Rob but sees no sign that he feels the same and since Rob is in reality a nobleman she knows he feels far above her - or she thinks so. She considers John in a way and it is done very well - good writing in all of that. We follow them into a variety of close calls and intrigue with some surprising twists along the way.

Okay, the two reasons that for me dropped the rating. Scarlet's grammar for one. I totally understand after reading the book why it was so bad, but it made it very difficult for me to like her at first, and it just struck me every time she said something like, "It meant Rob were his hero" and "He were kind of like..." Every time I read "were" instead of "was" it irritated me. I don't mind dialects and "ain't" once in awhile, but this was just too much and she is telling it in the first person. The other thing that drove me crazy was Scarlet's constant use of the word "bits". She used it for everything - her breasts, coins, private parts of a guy she was attacking (and there were many), jewelry.. and other things. It was just far too much of a word being repeated over and over in a story.

I still rounded it up to four stars and it's a fun read if you don't mind cringing at the "were's" and the "bits". Maybe that was just me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) That would all drive me crazy too!!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I hope she will not do this in future books as it really was well done in a lot of ways.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) That's too bad that it was that annoying...

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner Terry, I have a question for you. Being a Goodreads librarian, one of my occasional functions is to remove books improperly added to Goodreads lists, if they're clearly mis-categorized. One list that tends to get more than its share of such books is https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2... (Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins). This book is on it (ranking as #34, no less, out of 784!).

Of course, the fact that a lady may happen to be a thief with good knife skills doesn't make her a (hired) assassin as such! Is there anything about this book that would justify that characterization? Or is this just another instance of starry-eyed fans slapping a book they liked onto every list they see, whether it belongs there or not?