Chris's Reviews > The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Oct 13, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in October, 2008

This is a story about a man who wants answers. His short journey in this first part of the tale is full of action, desperation, suffering, reflection, and love as well as fear. The journey takes him from a deadly barren desert to a hole deep beneath the mountains where he is taught and where he is used. The flashbacks are poignant and leave the reader with a vivid and vast vision of an ancient world that once dominated the planet but which then dissolved away into a relic.

The themes introduced in this story are rich and provoking. We are asked to consider the passing of time as well as the permanence and "glory" of death. We are introduced to vivid characters who contrast the light and darkness within us all and yet we are not left with any clear protagonist or antagonist. That was the most interesting aspect of the novel in my opinion. There is a strong sense of good and evil but it is still unclear as to who belongs to which side. That mystery in itself drives the reader on throughout the entirety of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

10/15/2008 page 200