Sharon's Reviews > Grubane

Grubane by Karl Drinkwater

bookshelves: favorites

When a commander is faced with his convictions as a soldier and his morals as a human being, he avoids the easy option and makes a move like a well-seasoned chess player.

Major Grubane is the cool-under-pressure, well-respected commander of the UFS Aurikaa. His latest United Front Systems mission to the independent planet of Nuafri is not ideal and goes against his better judgment. In addition, there is a spy on his ship that could destroy everything he cares about. Will he be manipulated into carrying out a deadly mission, or will he use his notable skills to outmaneuver his opponents?

The story is narrated by Aurikaa12, Major Grubane’s trusted AI. Aurikaa12’s technical and non-human perspective filled with dry wit and philosophical musings is what draws me into this story.

Once again, Mr. Drinkwater impresses me with his fascinating and intricate AI/human interactions contained within a novella. In addition, he does a remarkable job intertwining chess plays with Major Grubane’s military strategies. I can’t wait to read more in this series! If you enjoy military science fiction with captivating characters and a shrewd and riveting plotline, give this book a try.

Although this is Book 2 of the series, it can easily be read as a standalone. However, I suggest you read Helene which was my delightful introduction to Mr. Drinkwater’s writing.

Thank you to Mr. Drinkwater for giving me the opportunity to read this book with no expectation of a positive review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grubane.

August 28, 2020 – Started Reading