Jolie's Reviews > A Fatal Waltz

A Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander

Oct 13, 2008

bookshelves: historical-mystery

The third installment in the Emily Ashton mystery series was just as enjoyable as the first two. Sadly, I have now come to end of available books in this series, and have to wait for more.

I'm placing these books into that lovely category called "books-whose-worlds-I-love-and-whose-characters-don't-irritate-me-and-I-want-nothing-more-than-to-immerse-myself-in-them-all-day-until-I'm-done-because-they're-just-that-fun." (Or something like that). I am surprised by the restraint shown by the author in not stuffing her books full of cliches and overblown descriptions--we get enough lovely little passages to set the scene, but not a rhapsodic paragraph detailing every outfit and ballroom. I continue to care about the characters, and love the way she's handled the romance between Emily and Colin.

A Fatal Waltz takes Emily to Vienna, once again to mingle with historical figures (Gustav Klimt and Cecile...who would have thought?) and sleuth her way through a tangle of clues. (My husband suggested that this series is really just Nancy Drew in a different setting...I'll grant him that, to a very small degree...:)) She meets up with a bit more danger and intrigue this time, and moves herself into position to aid Colin in future investigations--Lady Emily, agent to the crown...?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fatal Waltz.

Windy Just saw that the next Lady Ashton book is coming out September 1st.

I love your reviews! Sometimes I just want to cut and paste them into my own reviews so that I can sound intellectual, too.