Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Living Dead in Dallas

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, esp, fae, not-your-ordinary-creatures, vampires, weres-shapeshifters, some-kinda-magic, cover-whore
Read 4 times. Last read March 21, 2014 to March 23, 2014.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Most people who have read this series, at the very least, like portions of it.

They like the first 3 or 4 installments, but then they get bored, or after the 3rd or 4th book, the series really started picking up for them.

I’m weird, I guess. I pretty much liked the entire series right up until the end. Sure, how much I liked each book varied—for example, except for the last book, this one is my LEAST favorite, but that’s not uncommon, what with this being book 2 and all. It definitely has its good moments (like when Eric gets shot and that thing happens that is hilarious and awesome), but overall . . . MEH.

Living Dead in Dallas begins with Sookie finding a dead Lafayette in Andy Bellefleur’s car in the parking lot of Merlotte’s one morning. What do you mean, “a dead Lafayette?!” you ask. “Lafayette can’t be DEAD, he’s still going strong in season 6 of True Blood!”

Let me introduce you to a little game I like to play called “Same and NOT the Same.”

SO. Andy’s been drinking, ’cause you know, being a cop is hard, and Sookie has to call Portia (his sister) to come and pick him up.

Leaving his car at the bar.

For persons unknown to leave a dead body in.

But why would someone want to kill Lafayette? He’s so much fun!

Yeah, well, he’s also got a BIG mouth. A BIG mouth that he’s apparently been running about a house he’d been going to, “where there were all kinds of sex hi-jinks going on,” and someone didn’t like that. Someone didn’t like that a lot.

So poor Sook’s stressed out about that.

Then when she gets home from work that night, Bill tells her that she’s been “summoned” by Eric.

Better and better.

The next evening they drive to Shreveport, where Eric informs her that she’s been LOANED out to vampires in Dallas who could use some assistance of the telepathic variety. AND while Sookie’s understandably upset about Eric’s high-handedness, there’s really not much she can do about it—she did, after all, agree to help him any time he wanted, in exchange for turning over human culprits to human authorities, rather than taking matters into their vampire hands. I suppose it’s her own fault for not specifying she wouldn’t stand for being loaned out. You live and you learn, I guess.

Freakin’ vampires.

And that is how Bill and Sookie wind up on an airplane bound for Dallas.

I’ve already said that this is probably my least favorite book in the series until you get to end, and that is b/c . . . while I don’t have a problem with kink, I do have a problem with gross, middle-aged, pervy kink. And this group is just . . . blech.

I also have a problem with centuries-old, pedophile vampires. Actually, I have a problem with ALL types of pedophiles, so even contemplating one that has been doing what they do FOR SO FREAKING LONG<——well, clearly, it’s upsetting.

AND all of the Bill and Sookie relationship angst from book 1 grows and flourishes in book 2 (and relationship angst is not something you want growing and flourishing). This is also the book where you get your first glimpse of how self-absorbed Bill can be.

This book is also where you get your first glimpse of how attentive someone-not-Bill can be.

*winks*

And that’s really the only sell point for this installment. Well, that, and it’s necessary to read this one to get to the good ones. BOTTOMLINE—too much perv for one book. Read it b/c you can’t move forward without it, but go into it knowing that there is some seriously disturbing stuff going on. That is all.

Jessica Signature

My other reviews for this series:

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead in Dallas.

Quotes Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Liked

Charlaine Harris
“Hey, our hair's the same color," I said, eying us side by side in the mirror.

"Sure is, girlfriend." Eric grinned at me.”

Charlaine Harris
“Glass shattered, vampires roared, humans screamed. The noise battered at me, just as the tidal wave of scores of brains at high gear washed over me. When it began to taper off, I looked up into Eric's eyes. Incredibly, he was excited. He smiled at me. "I knew I'd get on top of you somehow," he said.
Are you trying to make me mad so I'll forget how scared I am?"
No, I'm just opportunistic."
I wiggled, trying to get out from under him, and he said, "Oh, do that again. It felt great.”

Charlaine Harris
“You've reached Fantasia, where the undead live again every night," "For bar hours, press one. To make a party reservation, press two. To talk to alive person or a dead vampire, press three. Or, if you were intending to leave a humorous prank message on our answering machine, know this: we will find you.”

June 19, 2012 – Shelved
March 21, 2014 – Started Reading
March 21, 2014 –
page 15
"I wasn't too sure what would constitute impressive for Lafayette, who had grown up poor and stayed that way, but I was sure he'd been talking about the home of someone white, because he'd said, "All the pictures on the walls, they all white as lilies and smiling like alligators."\n \n Like alligators."
March 22, 2014 –
page 112
"I stared at my toes, wishing more than I'd ever wished anything that I could be completely alone with Bill for two minutes and find out what the hell was going on, because this vampire wasn't any "Leif," and he wasn't from California.\n \n It was Eric.\n \n Sneaky, sneaky vampires ;)"
March 22, 2014 –
page 239
""Excuse me, Sam. I didn't mean to speak ill of someone you . . . you, ah . . ." I could hardly say, "are screwing," however apropos it might be. "You're spending time with," I finished lamely. "I'm sure she's lovely once you get to know her. Of course, the fact that she cut my back to bloody ribbons may have something to do with my prejudice against her. I'll try to be more open-minded."\n \n ehehehe ;)"
March 23, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Lola (last edited Jun 22, 2014 03:43PM) (new)

Lola I'm tired of UFs being mostly resolving mysteries/cases, lol. Though, I bought 6 books from this series so I guess I have to read it one day. XD Nice review, Jessica!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Thank you, lovely! And I love that about UF, LOL. I would hold-off on reading these until you aren't particularly sick of mysterious UF, b/c Harris UF is more like that than most, FYI.

message 3: by Lola (last edited Jun 22, 2014 04:29PM) (new)

Lola Think I'll do that yeah and dive myself into contemporaries until I crave for mystery (or in M/M, lol.) :)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Great review, Jessica :)

message 7: by Exina (new) - added it

Exina There are merely meh installments in every series. :) Great review, Jessica!

Jessi Wonderful review Jessica! :)

message 11: by Marga (new)

Marga Great review, Jessica! I'm actually planning to start a new UF series. What will you recommend? :)

message 12: by Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more (last edited Jun 24, 2014 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more KATE DANIELS!! Magic Bites is the first book. Kate is my #1 favorite heroine AND this is my #1 favorite UF series (by my #1 favorite author). I'm consistent ;) And thanks!

message 13: by Marga (new)

Marga Woah. Okayy. I'll add it to my tbr-list now. Thanks!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more *snickers* I'm a little bit (a LOT) fangirl crazy about Kate. I get to interview the Andrews when they're on their book tour this summer, so I'm even more excited than usual. *takes a deep breath* *calms down*

message 15: by Marga (new)

Marga Wow that's great! What I wouldn't do just to have like a chat over coffee with my fave authors! :)