Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Magic Burns

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

5/6/18: I hope that when the Andrews write their Julie and Derek spinoff that one of the books takes place during another flare and Red shows up. Then I want for Julie and/or Derek to break several of his bones. Big important ones. Like a femur and his pelvis. Yeah.

After the trial by fire world-building of MAGIC BITES, any leftover questions are quickly answered in KATE DANIELS #2 by virtue of the shifts from magic to tech and tech to magic occurring with alarming frequency as a result of one of this book's Big Problems, the magical Flare.

SIDENOTE: that's "Flare" as in flare-up, not "flair" as in you need at least 15 pieces on your uniform. FYI.

description

Right. SO a magic Flare has happened every 7(ish) years since tech fell, and during a Flare, not only are the magic/tech shifts more frequent, but the magic is more POTENT.

More strange things happen, more creatures show up, already existing magical people and creatures have a harder time maintaining control over their magical aspects.<------it's a MESS.

The Casino, the headquarters of The People, shuts down entirely, going into lockdown.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

MAGIC BURNS begins with Kate getting an early morning wakeup call from Jim, who needs backup on a Mercenary Guild gig. About the time they've got everything wrapped-up, Jim gets a mysterious text, and ditches Kate, b/c "Pack business." Kate is understandably annoyed. She's only one person, and hardly capable of carrying BOTH the dead (shot in the back with an arrow by person(s) unknown) perp and the salamander contained by magical glass, and they only get paid if they have proof they took care of the problem.

So what does Kate do?

She cuts off Perp's head. So pragmatic, our Kate.

After dumping the head and the fire lizard at the Guild, Kate moseys over to the Order, where Derek asks for her help on behalf of the Pack.

A group of surveyors was ambushed, you see, by a man who stole their maps and literally disappeared. This mysterious man left behind several arrows matching the one that killed Perp, so Kate heads back to the parking deck where she cornered Perp that morning, and looks for a clue. (<------I LOVE it when Kate looks for clues.)

What she finds is a creepy magnetized metal yard with Stymphalian birds, what looks like a smashed air hanger with a bottomless pit underneath where a cauldron used to sit, and two street kids.

One of those street kids is Julie (Yay!!). The other street kid is Red (boo hiss).

Also in the weird, smushed air hanger is a bizarre skeleton pinned to some crates by more familiar looking arrows. Kate decides to investigate, removes an arrow or two, and what-do-you-know, the bowman somehow knows and comes to investigate.

The bowman's name is Bran, and Bran is HOT. He's mischievous and has swagger and I LOVE him.

After lots of flirty banter (and maybe a scuffle or two), Bran gives Kate the maps and . . . disappears.

Red is long gone by this point, so Kate takes Julie under her wing, stuff happens, Curran in his Alpha-ness is even more HOT than Bran, Kate is even more KICK-ASS than we previously thought, and this second installment pretty much kills the first one (and the first book was PRE-tty dang good IMO).

This is a series that just keeps getting better, and if you haven't checked it out yet . . . you NEED to check it out. Anyone who loves or is interested in Urban Fantasy should have KATE DANIELS in their library. Come on . . . time to drink the kool-aid. This won't hurt a bit, I promise. *orbit gum smile*

My other reviews for this series:

A Questionable Client (Kate Daniels, #0.5)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)
Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels, #4.5)
Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
Retribution Clause (Kate Daniels, #5.6)
An Ill-Advised Rescue (Kate Daniels, #5.8)
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
Magic Steals (Kate Daniels, #6.5)
Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
Magic Stars (Kate Daniels, #8.5, Grey Wolf, #1)
Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
Iron and Magic (Kate Daniels, #9.5)
Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
Curran POV Collection

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Burns.

Quotes Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Liked

“I'm a substitute mom."
"You're more like a crazy aunt who only gets called when somebody needs bailing out of jail.”

Ilona Andrews
“I don't want it to be attributed to a loss of control on my part. When I throw you out of the window, I want there to be no doubt the act was deliberate.”

Ilona Andrews
“Nice plan. Take the gullible outsiders, walk them around for a bit, then feed them to the giant tortoise.”

Ilona Andrews
“Across from me at the next row of supports Jim raised his hand and touched his fingers to his thumb a few times, imitating an opening and closing beak. Negotiate. He wanted me to engage a lunatic who had already turned four people into smoking meat. Okay. I could do that.
“Alright, Jeremy!” I yelled into the night. “Give me the salamander and I won’t cut your head off!”
Jim put his hand over his face and did some shaking. I thought he was laughing, but I couldn’t be sure.”
tags: humor

Ilona Andrews
“Derek, if a boy wanted to take away a girl's power by having sex with her, what would you think about it?"
"I'd break something. His leg. Maybe his arm." He squeezed the wire tighter. "Probably wouldn't kill him unless he wanted to make an issue of it.”

Ilona Andrews
“Nothing kills a party like an oversize metal hedgehog.”

June 19, 2012 – Shelved
July 16, 2014 – Started Reading
July 16, 2014 –
0.0% ""And you let him get away?"\n "He just disappeared."\n "I guess the shapeshifters' sense of smell isn't what it used to be."\n "No, Kate, you don't understand. He vanished. He was there one moment and then he was gone."\n I couldn't resist. "Like a ninja. In a puff of smoke."\n \n Hahahaha!! *waves at Bran*"
July 16, 2014 –
16.0% ""Leave the kid alone," I told him.\n "Jealous? Want me all to yourself?" He jerked the crossbow right a little. "Turn around."\n I turned my back to him, expecting the bite of a steel bolt head between my shoulder blades any moment. "Very nice," he said. "Turn around again."\n \n YEP. Still love Bran."
July 16, 2014 –
17.0% "Julie stared at me from the crates. "He went poof."\n "Yes, he did."\n "He likes you. He grabbed your butt.""
July 16, 2014 –
19.0% ""How did you get down into the Gap?"\n "We hiked from the Warren. There's a trail." A little light went off in her eyes. "But I probably can't find it now. So if you send me back, I'll just wander around without any water or food."\n \n LOL. Julie does and excellent woebegone."
July 16, 2014 –
35.0% "Curran picked up one of the bowls, looked at it for a second, as if considering a matter of some importance, brought the bowl over, and held it before me.\n description"
July 17, 2014 –
36.0% ""You know what I like about you? You have no sense. You sit here in my house, you can barely hold a spoon, and you're telling me 'no.' You'd pull on Death's whiskers if you could reach them."\n Actually, Death wasn't that far out of reach. If I stretched my leg, I could kick him.\n \n WELP . . . at least Curran knows what he's getting himself into, LOL."
July 17, 2014 –
36.0% ""What's so funny?"\n "Your panties have a bow," he said.\n I looked down. I was wearing...blue panties with a narrow white strip of lace at the top and a tiny white bow..."What's wrong with bows?"\n "Nothing," He was grinning now. "I expected barbed wire..."\n Wiseass. "I'm secure enough in myself to wear panties with bows on them. Besides, they are comfy and soft."\n "I'll bet." He almost purred.\n \n Oh boy."
July 17, 2014 –
38.0% ""Back away, three steps."\n We stepped back in unison, he to the middle of the room, and I to the wall by the chair.\n "On three. One," he said, bending forward like a runner. "Two."\n He lunged for the maps. I grabbed the chair and hit him with it. He went down. I hit him again to make sure he stayed that way, stepped over him, and picked up the maps. "I win."\n \n Have I mentioned that Kate is my favorite?"
July 17, 2014 –
41.0% "I stood to the side and watched the bar rise and fall. Curran wore an old, torn T-shirt, and I could see his muscle pump under the fabric.\n "How much are you lifting?"\n "Seven hundred."\n Alrighty then. I will just stand over here, out of your way, and hope you don't remember my promise to kick your ass.\n \n Probably a good plan . . . *snickers*"
July 17, 2014 –
62.0% ""Surrender, human."\n "Bolgor the Shepard, I presume?"\n ...A spasm gripped the reeve. She crashed to her knees...The Shepard rasped. "You cannot stop us. The gate of the Otherworld yawns wide. The Great Crow leads the host. Look into the darkness, human, and you will see your death riding to greet you!"\n "That's a lovely speech. Almost Shakespearean."\n \n See . . . even Ghastek can be funny sometimes ;)"
July 17, 2014 –
75.0% ""Sorry about our...altercation in the buggy. I was only playing. I'm Raphael."\n "The one who likes the hurting." I moved to shake his hand and he reversed it and kissed my fingers instead, singeing me with a look that was pure smolder.\n I took my hand back. "That woke me up."\n \n Hahahaha!! Me TOO, Kate. Me TOO."
July 17, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2015 –
3.0% "“What’s the gig?”\n “Some arsonist wacko.”\n \n Hullo, Kate. I've missed you."
May 14, 2015 –
11.0% "“No, Kate, you don’t understand. He vanished. He was there one moment and then he was gone.” \n I couldn’t resist. “Like a ninja. In a puff of smoke.”\n \n HA! Kate, you so funneh."
May 14, 2015 –
19.0% "“How did you get down into the Gap?”\n “We hiked from the Warren. There’s a trail.” A little light went off in her eyes. “But I probably can’t find it now. So if you send me back, I’ll just wander around without any water or food.”\n \n WOE. *snickers*"
May 15, 2015 –
80.0% "“Just out of curiosity, what is it about me that makes you think I’m dovelike?”\n “I bet you coo in bed.” His black eyes shone, reflecting the flames of the fire. “Come sit next to me.”\n “No funny business?”\n “I make no promises.”\n \n OKAY!!"
May 15, 2015 –
89.0% "I followed and rested on the rail next to him. A staircase led up to a parapet connecting the main Keep with a half- built tower to the left. When they finally finished this place, they would have to rename it. “Keep” simply didn’t do it. It begged for a more appropriate name like Doom Bastion of Shapeshifter Superiority.\n \n HA."
May 5, 2018 – Started Reading
May 6, 2018 –
18.0% "“How did you get down into the Gap?”

Con artist . . . *snorts*"
May 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)

Ginny  Gallagher This is one of my favorite UF series! Love Kate!

message 2: by Lola (new)

Lola WTH?? 5+??? Are you kidding me?? o.O

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ My local library doesn't have this series. Boohiss. Maybe when my TBR isn't quite so alarmingly large I'll buy it.

message 4: by TL (new)

TL great review once again:) how long does it take ya to read a book?

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Great Review, Jessica!!!

Candice I forgot all about Bran!

Robin (Bridge Four) Bran has serious swagger.

I need some Kate Daniels Flair...maybe a pin the says "Beast Lord's Snuggum Woogums"

Great Review Jessica

Sandra I love Bran. Period.
(view spoiler)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Ginny wrote: "This is one of my favorite UF series! Love Kate!"

Me too, me TOO, Ginny! July 29, July 29 . . . *chants*

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Lola wrote: "WTH?? 5+??? Are you kidding me?? o.O"

You think I would kid about something like that? Pfft. You know better ;) Kate Daniels is the only thing I read more often than KA, Lola!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Tadiana wrote: "My local library doesn't have this series. Boohiss. Maybe when my TBR isn't quite so alarmingly large I'll buy it."

You know . . . lots of libraries will get new books at the request of their readers . . . just sayin' . . . ;)

message 12: by Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more (last edited Jul 18, 2014 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more TL wrote: "great review once again:) how long does it take ya to read a book?"

Not very, if it's Kate Daniels ;) And thank you!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Carol [Goodreads addict] wrote: "Great Review, Jessica!!!"

Thanks, Carol!!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Candice wrote: "I forgot all about Bran!"

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Robin wrote: "Bran has serious swagger.

Great Review Jessica"

Hahahaha!! I could definitely go for some Beast Lord flair. Thanks, Robin!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Sandra wrote: "I love Bran. Period.
[spoilers removed]"

Me too. (view spoiler)

Candice Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote:
How could you forget about Bran?! Bran dang near broke my heart, LOL<-----laughing on the outside, crying on the inside :("

I know. :(

message 18: by mich (new) - rated it 5 stars

mich Office Space reference! hehe, love it :) Great review AGAIN Jessica!

(view spoiler)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more mich wrote: "Office Space reference! hehe, love it :) Great review AGAIN Jessica!"

*snickers* Thank you! I love it when people get my vague references ;)

(view spoiler)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Love this series! Enjoy!!

Sandra Ditto, Bran deserves an spin-off!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Love this series! Enjoy!!"

Thanks, Heather! Me TOO ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Sandra wrote: "Ditto, Bran deserves an spin-off!"

I had a total brain freeze for a second, LOL. I was just talking to a friend about Patricia Briggs, and I want that Bran to get a spin-off too, so I was like, wait a second . . . HA.

Candice That Bran getting a spinoff would be AWESOME.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Wouldn't it? Sadly, I've heard that Briggs has specifically said she has no plans to do that. Which sucks, b/c seriously--Leah needs to GO. And I want to hear all about it in a Bran book.

Patrycja Great review!! ♥

message 28: by TL (new)

TL Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "TL wrote: "great review once again:) how long does it take ya to read a book?"

Not very, if it's Kate Daniels ;) And thank you!"

your welcome:)

message 29: by Exina (new) - added it

Exina Fantastic review, Jessica! :)

Brigid I felt like Red deserved what he got. Seriously, what's the best that can happen working for a very powerful Celtic goddess? Nothing good. I grew up with stories about Celtic goddesses in folklore. Creepy as shit. He'll regret his stupid ass decision. Idiot.

Great review Jessica. Ah the memories. This is actually my least favorite in the series, but still really good.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Brigid (evil owl master) wrote: "I felt like Red deserved what he got. Seriously, what's the best that can happen working for a very powerful Celtic goddess? Nothing good. I grew up with stories about Celtic goddesses in folklore...."

Little shit. I hope he does, b/c you aren't kidding--I didn't grow up on Celtic stories, but they aren't any less creepy as an adult . . .

Thanks, Brigid! And it's my second least favorite, but I thought it was leaps and bounds better than book 1<-----talk about creepy shit.

Rachel Reads Ravenously Wonderful review Jessica! I loved Bran too :)

Stephanie Another awesome break down, Jessica. And you're right, this series just keep getting a better and the first book wasn't too shabby in the first place.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥ wrote: "Wonderful review Jessica! I loved Bran too :)"

Thanks, Rachel!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Stephanie wrote: "Another awesome break down, Jessica. And you're right, this series just keep getting a better and the first book wasn't too shabby in the first place."

I CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO READ #3. It's my favorite UF installment EVER.

Stephanie I'm already hearting it big time!

Robin (Bridge Four) Books 3 & 4 are my uber favorites of this entire series.

Stephanie Robin wrote: "Books 3 & 4 are my uber favorites of this entire series."

At this rate, I will be re-reading all the books during the BR. It's crazy how quickly I have become attached to this series.

Stephanie I see that I did. Thanks for looking out.

Manteltje Reading book 2 right now, and I am starting to love the series! Thank you for the review, because I wasn't that excited for the series after book 1.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more DUDE. This book and the next 3 after that will blow your friggin' mind ;)

message 45: by Manteltje (last edited Apr 26, 2015 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Manteltje Ow oh... I am free from work this week. I will probably end up binge-reading the whole series cover to cover haha!

Robin (Bridge Four) Manteltje wrote: "Ow oh... I am free from work this week. I will probably end up binge-reading the whole series cover to cover haha!"

Fantastic plan!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Manteltje wrote: "Ow oh... I am free from work this week. I will probably end up binge-reading the whole series cover to cover haha!"

YES. We have done this ;)

JAIME Robin wrote: "Manteltje wrote: "Ow oh... I am free from work this week. I will probably end up binge-reading the whole series cover to cover haha!"

Fantastic plan!"

I'm accidentally already up to book 5....

message 50: by Di (new)

Di Im always like yours reviews I love it so much xD

« previous 1