Isamlq's Reviews > The Unraveling

The Unraveling by Hugh Howey

Jun 19, 2012

Read in June, 2012

“There was a terrifying world around her, one she could be dimly aware of if she concentrated hard enough, a world she knew but could no longer see.”

And I thought BOOK 3 was exciting. I love how each book is told by someone else so that there's more to the experience. Lukas was that twenty something year old man who’d piqued both my interest as well as that of book three's narrator's. He's out of place but obviously there was more to him. So, if the first one confused me then shocked me, and if the second and third ones had me pumped; this fourth touches a little on the sweet. Emphasis on 'a little,' though because the goings-on in this one, the discoveries that one or two of them made were so out there, but not too out there, making the same all the more scary.

Here is where things got PASSIONATE; the people, FIERY. Every one of them, doing what they thought was right. Him for a person he barely knew; the rest of them for what’s been done to her but also for what they couldn’t do for her (and others like her,)

"And tell me, where will you be, Knox of Mechanical, when the bombs fly? When these men and women who look up to us are facing their gravest test, where will you be?”

“You know where I’ll---” he started to answer.

“Damn straight,” McLain said, releasing his arm. “And you‘d better well know that I’ll see you there…”

Then of course all that paled in comparison to what Chapter 17 did to me. It was all I could do to keep from screaming, Holy Mind Fuck Batman! Everything said had a grain of truth in it, and it was terrifying!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unraveling.