Kirsty Stanley's Reviews > The Tribulations of August Barton

The Tribulations of August Barton by Jennifer      LeBlanc

5208770

bookshelves: own-as-audio-book, read-in-2020

This is such a fun novella and one which I am going to label Adrian Mole crossed with American Pie with added older ladies behaving badly.

August ‘Augie’ Barton is a college freshman. Though his college is in his home town, he goes for the full college experience, meeting his dorm mate Isaac, love interest Rose, getting a killer hangover and taking his gran to his first college party, all on day one!

And it is the inclusion of granny Gertie that makes this story a cut above. She is hilarious, causes many many tribulations for Augie but also helps him develop his confidence with women, in life in general, and in managing his anxiety. She’s his Yoda.

If you are familiar with the ‘let out a breath I didn’t realise I was holding’ line that features in many many YA books, and on this point I am kidding you not, there is literally a ten second chapter in the audiobook that is entirely Augie passing out because he didn’t release said breath - I so hope it was done ironically. It certainly made me laugh.

Audiobook narrator James Oliva provides a very exuberant performance, complete with (occasionally unnecessary) sound effects, but I loved how differentiated and vivid all the characters were through his narration.

This is a cast of colourful larger than life characters who are all loveable enough for me to imagine what fun we’d have if they were real. Augie is particularly adorkable and sometimes its just great to see the truly nice guy come out on top. Despite the humour there are some serious topics explored and this light touch works really well.

The sequel isn’t available on audio yet but hopefully it will be added soon because I do think the narration adds to the joy. If you simply can’t wait for the revelations of the sequel, it is available on kindle or in paperback now.

I was gifted a copy for the purposes of an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tribulations of August Barton.

August 26, 2020 – Shelved