Nikki's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Oct 12, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, own-it, contemporary, mystery
Recommended for: fans of realistic YA
Read in November, 2008

I'm having trouble figuring out what to say about this great book without giving much away. I can tell you it's my new favorite John Green, and I didn't have a favorite before this. The other two were cool, but they didn't grip me like this did. And not just gripping in the freaky tension of feeling like you're going to trip over a dead body at the next page turn (true, especially since the prologue sets that up). Gripping because it's about making and remaking yourself, of having a crazy adventure that changes everything about you, or maybe just frees you to be MORE rather than limited by self-imposed stereotypes. The "paper" of the title is about being two-dimensional, and I really liked that theme in this story: that people aren't really two-dimensional but they allow themselves to come across that way.

And of course I was laughing so hard through so many scenes that the humor definitely endeared this book to me as well. I really want to tell you the funniest YA scenario I ever remember reading, but it would give too much away. I'll just tell you that when he starts narrating by the hour, I was laughing at every line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.