Maggie K's Reviews > The State of the Art

The State of the Art by Iain M. Banks

Jun 19, 2012

liked it

A unique short-story venture from Banks...most of these pieces seemed either a little odd and unfinished or preachy rants. Only a few of these stories are actually part of the Culture world.
The title story is the largest and best thought out piece, and as a voracious reader of the Culture series, I was delighted to meet up again with Diziet Sma and Skaffen the Drone as they recount their visit to Earth for a historian.
Though it seems to ridicule earth thought, in all actuallity it's a critique of Culture society and its cleaned up version of living. After all, if people can live ridiculously long, and not really do a whole lot of work because their living and governing has been turned over to AI Minds, life seems a bit...well not sedate, because it's a little too hedonistic for that, but it's not as if any of them do anything that Matters, if you can follow my thoughts.
Anyway, I did enjoy that story, and it's an important Culture reference to be familiar with.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The State of the Art.

June 19, 2012 – Shelved
May 13, 2013 – Started Reading
May 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee ohhh. Looking forward to your comments on this one.