Siv's Reviews > Anxious People

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

My favorite Backman book yet! Life and death, loneliness and love, isolation and connection, this book about idiots, about anxious people, is truly about all of us and our greatest needs: to be seen and known and loved, and to be allowed to see and know and love in return.

Backman's storytelling style, the way he breaks in to tell his readers what's coming, or shed a new light, or change the paradigm, is fantastic. His comparison/contrasts and his humor make this book so readable I couldn't put it down.

"Obviously it doesn't really make any difference to you who the girl was. She was just one person out of several billion, and most people never become individuals to us. They're just people. We're just strangers passing each other, your anxieties briefly brushing against mine as the fibers of our coats touch momentarily on a crowded sidewalk somewhere. We never really know what we do to each other, with each other, for each other."

"That's the power of literature, you know, it can act like little love letters between people who can only explain their feelings by pointing at other people's."

"They say that a person's personality is the sum of their experiences. But that isn't true, at least not entirely, because if our past was all that defined us, we'd never be able to put up with ourselves. We need to be allowed to convince ourselves that we're more than the mistakes we made yesterday. That we are all of our next choices, too, all of our tomorrows."

"The new year arrives, which of course never means as much as you hope unless you happen to sell calendars. One day becomes another, now becomes then."

"...we do our best. We plant an apple tree today, even if we know the world is going to be destroyed tomorrow."

"The truth? The truth about all this? The truth is that this was a story about many different things, but most of all about idiots. because we're doing the best we can, we really are. We're trying to be grown-up and love each other and understand how the hell you're supposed to insert USB leads. We're looking for something to cling on to, something to fight for, something to look forward to. We're doing all we can to teach our children how to swim. We have all of this in common, yet most of us remain strangers, we never know what we do to each other, how your life is affected by mine."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anxious People.

August 25, 2020 – Shelved
August 25, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
November 15, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Mindy Sauve Love your review of this one. It was also one of my favorites.