Lauren's Reviews > Dune

Jun 19, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction, reviewed
Recommended for: Sci-Fi Lovers, People who like Wheel of Time
Read from June 26 to July 17, 2012

I LOVED Dune. I took longer to read it than I normally do with most books, but I feel like this book is the type of book where you need to really take your time to read and enjoy it. I believe the people that say that this is a classic science fiction book. I will probably start telling everyone that's interested in reading sci-fi that they need to read this one first.

So what makes it so great? Well, I love a good intrigue. I like that with the action in this book, there was plenty of politics going on in the background, silently changing the lives of the people on "Dune". It's well written, keeping my interest from beginning to end. The story is so original, even after reading hundreds of books. The characters have depth and Herbert makes you care about them, and makes you want to know more about who they are. The language that Herbert uses is easy to read and follow; he isn't too wordy or overly descriptive. I really loved this book. I may read the sequels, if they are written by Frank Herbert (I know his son continued some of this series).

Thoughts on it:

I actually find several parallels to the Wheel of Time series, another of my favorites. The Bene Gesserit reminds me of the Aes Sedai both a group of scheming women with magical powers. The Freman remind me of the Aiel, both hard, desert fairing peoples. Each group has a woman shaman-like leader (Wise Ones and Reverend Mothers). In each, an ordinary man becomes a legend, fulfilling old prophecies. Yeah, now that I think of it, these books are pretty similar. Maybe if you like the concepts and story in one, you'll like the concepts and story in the other.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.