Best Crime Books & More's Reviews > The Black Ice

The Black Ice by Michael Connelly

Jun 19, 2012

Read in November, 2010

I decided a while ago that I wanted to tackle the Harry Bosch series of books by Michael Connelly in order. I read his first novel a long time ago but it had been so long that I figured I should just start again at book 2 and try to read one every few weeks. Michael Connelly is a very successful author like many other crime greats such as Peter James, James Patterson and Lee Child but his writing style is not necessarily the same. Yes there are parallels in the majority of the crime genre books but that is to be expected. The one thing that is instantly noticeable for me is his attention to detail. This may not be favourable for some people but for me it makes a refreshing change. The other advantage to the detail is the advantage of getting to know why characters make the decision they do, especially when you know that this is an ongoing series.

The main character is Hieronymus (Harry) Bosch who is an ex-Vietnam soldier who is now on the force. Harry is a great character who is your typical cop who is strong willed and does things his way. People may complain about stereotypical `cop characters' but lets be fair, who wants to read about a cop who wants to play by the rules? Nothing would ever happen if that were the case.

Harry is quite a loner but he knows what's what and he smells trouble with a capital T when he sees Cal Moore dead in a motel room. The story itself did take a bit of time to gain pace but when I was about halfway through all the threads in the story seemed to come together and I was glad of all the detail.

Michael Connelly excels at describing the scenery and places that Harry visits and I could picture the dusky Mexican city that he ended up in. The great thing about this book was that although it may not have been as fast paced as some others I have read recently there was a great story behind it. The characters were well written and he added in a fantastic twist at the end which I admit I didn't see coming.

I regularly check out review stats on various websites and can see that Michael Connelly's earlier Harry Bosch books were not as popular. All I can say is that if that is the case I can't wait to carry on with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Ice.