Alan's Reviews > The China Factory

The China Factory by Mary Costello

Jun 19, 2012

bookshelves: short-stories

another great irish short story writer, apparently.

correct, another great Irish short storywriter. I am being a little generous with the stars here, as one or two stories may be a little under 5, but I did engage fully with this book, just my thing. Often about the usual - unwanted pregnancy, retirement, infidelity, an email romance that is 'spoiled' by becoming 'real life', a shy man who steps forward in a difficult situation causing re-appraisal - it's the mature, steady way the stories are handled that impresses and gets under your skin. This approach makes the lyrical passages soar more, and the uncertainty, longing, dreams hit home. The day-to-day, flies, skies, cats and dishes, are unfussily, beautifully described, and often lead to wider considerations (e.g. a dead fly: its legs in the air, its thin wafery wings lying flat. The heat of the sun will dry its body outright. He thought he could smell its deadness, and the smell of warm dust that never leaves that room. Some nights he thinks it's his own dust that he smells, that specks of him rest on the shelves and the windowsill and on the spines of books.)

A wonderful debut collection, looking forward to her next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The China Factory.

June 19, 2012 – Shelved
June 19, 2012 – Shelved as: short-stories
June 5, 2014 – Started Reading
June 12, 2014 –
page 120
68.18% "deep and emotional stuff, I like."
June 18, 2014 – Finished Reading