Lori's Reviews > Slave World

Slave World by Johnny Stone

Jun 19, 2012

bookshelves: ebooks
Read from June 19 to 26, 2012

This book clawed at me, tearing at emotions I generally try to prepare for before going into a book. It constantly made me question myself and my reason for continuing to turn the page. A good story teller, if the subject I'm reading is appalling yet, I carry on because I'm captivated, intrigued, and curious. I was eager to know what happens to the characters in the end of the story because I grew to care for some of them and hope they had a good ending.

The first 35% of the story is a lot of stage setting. It was a bit dull for me and I found myself skimming through the description of scenes. Then I was propelled into a whirlwind of emotions for the main female: pity, disgrace, anger, sadness, horror. Stone has a way of dulling the heartache of emotions, though, by having the character somewhat accepting of her situation. The story then picks up from here and I was hard-pressed to put the book down. I really liked the main male character. He was a fighter and loved Margo and his sister. He was selfless and strong and he and Margo were a perfect match.

If you are faint of heart or wanting something light and fun, this is not the book for you. The subject matter contained in this story is absolutely degrading to human beings. Although Stone is not overly descriptive when it comes to beatings or tortures, I sometimes found that the imagination can conjure even more disturbing images of the means to an end without the aid of words.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave World.

06/23/2016 marked as: read