Michael Fierce's Reviews > Operation: Montauk

Operation by Bryan Young

Jun 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: adventure, dinosaur-fiction, military, time-travel, pulp, nazis, science-fiction
Read from July 23 to 24, 2015

description

I picked this book up a couple years ago after seeing the striking cover by Blain Hefner and immediately picked it up for my Summer reading collection.

The cover says it all: It's a pulp adventure-fiction, steeped in military action, replete with dinosaurs, nazis, time-travel, and assorted time-displaced characters.

description

3 1/2 stars -- It's fast, fun, and hard to put down!

description

In some ways it feels like a YA novel, but I believe Operation: Montauk, is better classified as a Pulp-adventure novel, or...

description

I enjoyed the whole cast of characters. My favorites being James Richmond -the scientist / time-travel specialist from the 19th century, Albert -the alert, sharp-eyed, chimpanzee, Jack Mallory -our main character, a soldier from the World War II era, and Veronica Keaton -the beautiful, butt-kicking, "damsel-in-distress" girl of the present era ~ the perfect, more fitting substitute for the *Amazon woman* we almost always expect to 'see' in Pulp adventure fiction.

description

Bryan Young is a very easy to read author, his style distinctly educated from the writers of such classic tales as, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World, H. Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines, L. Sprague de Camp's Rivers of Time and Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder and many others, I'm sure.

Out of the more modern stabs at Pulp Adventures with dinosaurs and such that I've read, this would be a good read for those who liked, Dinosaur Jazz by Michael Panush, Dinocalypse Now by Chuck Wendig, and Return To The Lost World by Steve Barlow & Steve Skidmore.

description

I would have dug more background info on the characters, and thought Captain Abigail Valentine, Grimsby, Nikolai and Wan-Li's back stories were a bit brief. Likewise, I thought the dinosaurs descriptions and habitat could've been a little more fleshed out. That probably would have slowed down the pace and the excitement -key to this stories success.

Ends with the expectation of a sequel.

Looking forward to that!

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation.

07/23/2015 marked as: currently-reading
07/23/2015 page 129
57.0% "Enjoyable pulp-style military / dinosaur-fiction adventure."
07/24/2015 marked as: read

message 1: by Shadowclaw (new)

Shadowclaw you judged a book by its cover !?!?!?!?!D-:

Michael Fierce Jaid (Onix)the daughter of death wrote: "you judged a book by its cover !?!?!?!?!D-:"

Well. Not BY its cover but the cover grabbed me! :D