Katy's Reviews > Dualed

Dualed by Elsie Chapman

liked it

2.5 stars - I really thought I would love this book. To think somewhere in this world, there's an alternate version of you that grew up in a different home, had different friends, was a different person and only one of you will survive a showdown. And the first chapter had me hooked with West's grief over losing her family, her concern for Chord who just received his assignment, their playful banter and the tragedy that just broke my heart.

But that was as far as my loving it went. After that, the book failed to capture my attention, and I had a really hard time focusing on the book. And I'm not sure how to explain it other than it was just eh.

I guess I just didn't really connect with West. I can understand her pushing Chord away, but I just found myself annoyed with her dramatic antics than doing it for sacrificial reasons. And when she became a striker, I wish I felt more of that desperation to seek a last resort or that feeling she had after her first kill. I wouldn't say West was a stoic character. I just didn't think Chapman did a good job showing us her feelings and letting us sympathize with her.

I felt the book had enough action, but it didn't suck you in, and the showdown with West and her Alt and with Glade just failed to meet my expectations.

I don't know. The book was good, and I liked it enough, but I just couldn't get into it as much as I would have liked, and I'm disappointed because I think it had a lot of potential to be great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dualed.

June 18, 2012 – Started Reading
June 18, 2012 – Shelved
page 15
5.14% "W: “Because you’re an idiot. If you don’t even give him a good fight, then it’s already over. And no way I’m letting you go out like that. That’s not who you are.”\n C: “And who is it you think I am, West Grayer?”\n W: “Someone who’s not supposed to die yet."\n C: “If this is your way of telling me you’d miss me, I’ll take it.”\n W: “All that to hear me say I’ll miss you? You could have just asked.”"
page 15
page 30
10.27% "OMG! Nooo!"
June 19, 2012 –
page 61
June 19, 2012 –
page 206
June 20, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Deniz (new)

Deniz oh sounds good, you enjoying it?

message 2: by Katy (last edited Jun 19, 2012 07:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy Denizyildiz wrote: "oh sounds good, you enjoying it?"

Something came up last night, and I had to put it on the side. I'm only starting chapter 3, but I'm really liking it so far.

message 3: by Deniz (new)

Deniz enjoy!
xx

message 4: by Kaeri (new) - added it

Kaeri Hi, I'm sorry but I just have to ask where you've read this? I thought its release date is on 2013?

Katy Erika wrote: "Hi, I'm sorry but I just have to ask where you've read this? I thought its release date is on 2013?"

It was an advance reader copy provided on Endelweiss. :)

message 6: by Rogier (new) - added it