Sarah's Reviews > Trial Junkies

Trial Junkies by Robert Gregory Browne

bookshelves: robert-gregory-browne

What draws a person to pick up a particular book? Is it an eye catching or intriguing cover? Is it a famous author's name that everyone knows? Or is it the opening line or chapter of a book? An unusual cover will usually cause me to stop & pick a book up or perhaps the brief synopsis of the story might cause me to stop & ponder if it's something I want to read. But truth be told, the first few lines of a book will "make it or break it" for me. If I can't be hooked from the beginning, I know I usually won't make it past the first couple of chapters.

I can honestly say when I read the first couple paragraphs of TRIAL JUNKIES, my interest was piqued.

"They found her body in Dearborn Park. She had been left to die in a vacant lot on Clark Street, lying in a pool of her own blood, multiple stab wounds to her chest and abdomen, her face slashed, her throat slit ear to ear."

How could you not be just a little bit curious after that opening paragraph?

The main character, Hutch, is a washed up actor who discovers his college girlfriend has been murdered. He returns home to Chicago after a 10 year absence for her funeral & reunites with his old college friends. While there, the police finally arrest a suspect, who just happens to be one of Hutch's friends. And this is where things get interesting. As facts are introduced & evidence revealed, it looks like it's a slam dunk for the prosecution. Or is it?

I read this book in two days, although I would have finished it in one day if I had had the time. I was totally captured by the story & just had to see what happened. Mr. Browne has woven just enough mystery & intrigue to tease you into saying "Just one more page. Just one more chapter.”. And then there was the ending. An ending that I certainly did NOT see coming.

I cannot wait to see where Mr. Browne takes us in the next installment of TRIAL JUNKIES. If you haven't read any of Mr. Browne's books, you should try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I certainly wasn't!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trial Junkies.

Started Reading