Chris Norbury's Reviews > Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents

Caste by Isabel Wilkerson

bookshelves: non-fiction, top-ten-or-so-non-fiction

This is a must-read book in so many ways. First, the quality of the writing: clear, concise, great flow and pacing. Second, the content: looks at the concept of racism from a fresh viewpoint, that of being derived from the ancient caste system developed by Hindus centuries ago. Third, the future: speculates quite accurately, I believe, about what America will face in the coming years with regard to restoring true equality of rights and opportunities to all people.

If you belong to any caste (and in America, whether you know it or not, you ARE in a caste), you need to read this book to better understand how you got into that caste, why it's so difficult to rise above your caste if you aren't already at the top, how you are constantly oppressed by any and all castes above you.

If you are in the upper caste in America (there's many more of us than we think, and almost all are white), you need to read this book and decide for yourself if maintaining the US caste system for your selfish benefit today is the best course of action for your children and grandchildren.

An excellent book to generate discussions on issues of race, color, discrimination, social and economic class, and much more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caste.

August 22, 2020 – Started Reading