Elaine Ker's Reviews > The Alpha and His Ace

The Alpha and His Ace by Ana J. Phoenix

it was ok

I'm so furious about this book.

It was a nice read. The writing is fun, it talks a bit about AVEN which is nice.

But there were things that made me uncomfortable. The fact that Aydan is never given a romantic choice, for example. They discuss sex, but regarding romance, it's pretty clear that Bran won't let him say no.
And the worst is Bran's point of view about sex. I first had the feeling that consent was taken into consideration, with Bran saying that he could never hurt Aydan, but then, at the "big realisation" moment, he comes to the conclusion that if they don't find a compromise, he would end up frustrated and couldn't help but rape Ayden... like, what ? what ????

(from the bit I read in the second book, it also seems like the worldbuilding implies that lesbians and trans people don't exist...)

It's so annoying, really, because I really wanted to like this story....

The only nice thing about this is that it got me so frustrated that I spiraled into an "ace reading obsession" and discovered actually good books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alpha and His Ace.

August 22, 2020 – Started Reading