Lisa Vegan's Reviews > United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories

United Tweets of America by Hudson Talbott

Jun 18, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, nature, history, non-fiction, picture-books, social-culture, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Recommended for: kids who like trivia, birds, U.S. history, silly non-fiction books
Read on July 08, 2012

I love reading books such as this for fun. For school it would be less fun, particularly if the reader was expected to memorize the information.

Wonderful map of the U.S. at the beginning. Pretty and easy to read. But Hawaii is way too far to the south. Love the framed portraits of all the birds that will appear in the rest of the book, state by state in alphabetical order.

What I wasn’t expecting: funny, with shtick, that some readers will find amusing, some annoying.

This book has lots of trivia, on different subjects as well as different details for different states, with some history and pop culture, and a mish mash of other information thrown in.

I found myself singing in my head multiple times, particularly liking the Oklahoma page, and I did like the last, united, song.

I think many 7 or 8 to 10 or 11 year olds will find this book hilarious as well as informative.

The illustrations are very busy, very detailed, and contribute much text to the book. I think most kids will be attracted to them.

I would have loved this book from ages 8 to 10 or so. I’d have poured over it thoroughly and repeatedly.

As an adult I wanted to “fill in the blanks” with facts that were presented for some vs. all states.

Rated down a star for my childhood self and up a star for my adult self.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read United Tweets of America.