Julie's Reviews > An Unquiet Grave

An Unquiet Grave by P.J. Parrish

Jun 18, 2012

bookshelves: mystery-shelf
Read from June 18 to 30, 2012

This was a really good Louis Kincaid mystery. This book had Louis traveling back to Michigan to visit his foster parents, Phillip and Frances. Phillips asked Louis to help him locate the remains of his first love, Claudia who had died in an "insane asylum" in 1972. The institution was closing and her coffin was found filled with rocks. As Louis begins to investigate he discovers old family secrets, horrible abuses at the asylum . He also has to deal with an over zealous newspaper reporter that believes a serial killer that died in the asylum is still alive, since two more recent bodies have turned up with similar MO. Louis also has to deal with his own demons from his childhood and his years growing up with Phillip and Frances. The secrets Phillip has kept from his wife for over 30 years threatens to destroy their relationship.
I used to read a lot of P. J. Parrish, but over the years I have fallen behind on this series. I found this one stuck way up on the top shelf of my bookcase and remembered how good these were. This one was pretty lurid, and really spooky at times when they were walking around an old abandoned insane asylum and prowling through tunnels underneath the building. The treatments of days gone by are revisited here and this makes for some difficult reading. So, this one is not for the squemish. There a satifactory ending with some of the characters, but sort of leaves you hanging with others. I would have liked to feel that Phillip got the closure he needed and then was able to do the right thing by Frances, if she was able to accept things. Those issues may have been spoken of in later novels, and I'm just not aware. This book was published in 2006 and there have been several released since then I think. This may not have been my all time favorite P. J. Parrish/ Kincaid mystery, but it satified my craving for a good mystery. I think I'll try to catch up with P. J. Parrish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unquiet Grave.