Tammy's Reviews > The Guardian

The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

Jun 18, 2012

Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I don't know why I'm hiding this review. It's one of those things where if I start off by saying the book is very emotional and it has a dog in it everyone knows how it's going to end.

But I digress, or at the very least; back track.

The Guardian starts out -prologue- with the main character grieving her late husband. While she is in the midst of her grief a friend delivers her late husband's last gift; a great dane pup with a letter. Fast forward to chapter one and the dog has grown up and the widow has nearly finished the process of healing and is ready to start seeing people again. I'm not sure which one took longer, but I suspect it took the entire elapsed four years for that ugly pup from the prologue to grow into that giant dog -Singer by name- trying to smother his owner with a combination of love and sheer body mass.

As usual, Sparks' character's shine, his story intrigues, and the romance is sweeter than candy -believe me, I ate a box of chocolates whilst finishing this up.

My only gripe is the ending.

After a good deal of action and suspense (spoiler time! Look away!) the dog bites it and everyone lives happily ever after. Admittedly, I'm biased about what happened to the dog because I love animals and it seems that in almost every book I read if there's a dog, he's going to get it in the end. Even that I could have dealt with because Julie's dialogue when she realizes it's too late is spectacular, but then came the last chapter.

Julie finds closure both for Singer and her late husband in a rather cliche' dream and -oh by the way; everyone who survived the climax is doing just fine. All summed up in one rather short chapter. I found myself staring at the Author's Note at the end going "Wait... what?"

So; this book warrents four stars from me because I really did enjoy it, but the end leaves something to be desired... and not just the dog to live.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guardian.