Jessi's Reviews > His Mistress by Christmas

His Mistress by Christmas by Victoria Alexander

Jun 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, part-of-a-series, romance, appealing-characteristic-story, historical
Read in December, 2013

The second of three widowed friends finds her match in this book. Lady Veronica Smithsonhas been widowed for three years and she's decided that is long enough to wait for grand adventure; she's ready to take a lover. When her friend Poppy's cousin returns from gallivanting all over the globe, Veronica decides that he is the perfect man to take as her lover.
Hugh has a different idea however. He finds Veronica delectable but he's ready for respectability and marriage. Also, he has to prove to his brothers that he is worthy of receiving his inheritance.
Hugh agrees to Veronica's plan, but he retains the right to ask her for her hand in marriage. A series of misunderstandings lead to Verinica and Hugh being trapped at his house at Christmas (view spoiler).
This book started off so well and I was enjoying it immensely but the ending was sort of a letdown for me. Too many misunderstandings are introduced and little things trying to be wrapped up too quickly at the end. Overall, I enjoyed watching Hugh and Veronica get together.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Mistress by Christmas.