Jennifer's Reviews > Beyond the Wall: Exploring George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Beyond the Wall by James Lowder

Jun 17, 2012

bookshelves: earcs, ebook, nonfiction, mythology, fantasy, geeky

I was really excited to read this book, because I knew it would validate the geekery I feel about the Song of Ice and Fire books. Beware if you haven't read them all, though. If you're coming from the TV show only, you will encounter lots of spoilers for future events in the series. It's funny to read essays from well-known (in their fields, at least) authors on the subject of a fictional world, when so much of the scientific literature I read (for work, of course) is so grounded in reality. But that's part of the magic of Martin''s work: he makes it real. He created a rich world ripe for discussion, and that's what this book does. Here we have articles on feminism (or the lack of it) in the books, and how Martin portrays characters that would be diagnosed with PTSD in our world. There are also a couple of essays for the uber-nerd (I read them just as voraciously as the others, so no judgement there): how to collect ASOIAF books and how to adapt them to graphic novels. If you've ever found yourself falling down the rabbit hole of ASOIAF-related wikis and forums, you'll enjoy this book. There's so much to speculate on in Martin's works, so this set of essays can only examine so much, but it's a well-researched, in depth set. Geek out and enjoy.

I received this as a digital ARC via Netgalley and the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Wall.