Holly Morrow's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

F 50x66
Jun 17, 2012

I'm a little bit obsessed with Zimbabwe, and I love memoirs, so this was a no-brainer for me. "Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight" is Alexandra Fuller's story of growing up in several African countries (Rhodesia, Malawi, Zambia) on a series of hot, desolate farms with her slightly eccentric and heavy-drinking English family. The most striking thing to me was the way that Fuller very candidly portrays the reflexive, unthinking racism (more accurately described as racial superiority) of her white family (including herself as a child) and their white fellow-settlers in Africa. She doesn't make it an "issue" or focus of discussion in the book, nor does she leave it out - both natural options given that it sits there, embarrassingly unreconstructed and colonial and thus a little bit jarring to read. I think it works -- she is describing a time and place when that was just the way things were. This is probably not my favorite Zimbabwe memoir (thats I think "When a Crocodile Eats the Sun") but its a good, quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.