Susan's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Oct 10, 2008

bookshelves: juvenile
Recommended for: 4th through 7th graders, boys

Okay, I get it. The books are plot-heavy at the expense of perhaps a bit more character development. There are similarities to Harry Potter. Still, even at the fourth book of the series, I have to continue to recommend the Percy Jackson books. They're action-packed and funny and Riordan writes to his target audience well. Another bonus is that he's not writing like an author nearing the end of a series, pushing books through to finish it off and tie up loose ends. Riordan writes like he's still having fun, and that alone makes the series entertaining. Book four is high on interest-tweaking material: more bizarre and exotic monsters rear their ugly heads (like Kampe); there's a nicely handled twist a mysterious character; and Percy's friendship with Annabeth is starting to show some wear and tear.

Besides the fact that it gets kids interested in Greek mythology, it's refreshing to see a kid hero that acts like a kid. Percy makes about as many mistakes as often as he saves the day, and while he has the requisite noble streak, he can also be thickheaded and hasty.

According to reports, Percy will be with us for two more adventures...one coming up in January and another in May. I'm expecting some good things to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.