Mary Anne's Reviews > Pebble in the Sky

Pebble in the Sky by Isaac Asimov

liked it
bookshelves: audio-book, fiction, library, asimov
Read 2 times. Last read June 18, 2012 to June 26, 2012.

Apparently this is in a series, Galactic Empire, and is the third in the series. Funny, since this is the first fiction book he wrote/published. Then again, I might be wrong, and even if I'm not, he was pretty amazing at writing things out of order.

This is the second time I've read this book, and I was stunned to find it in the audio book section of our library. It's been years since I've read anything by Asimov, which is a sad thing, because I think he's quite wonderful. It sort of shows that this was one of his earlier works: I feel like his storytelling improves and matures over time. However, this was still a great read, full of scientific concepts and images of a potential future and what happens when we lose track of history. The lack of a strong female character (Pola is pretty forgettable, and that's the best thing I can say about her) is annoying but, I suppose, kind of understandable, given the time. I don't recall female characters being in abundance or in any way strong in Asimov's work, but I've not read all that much of the vast number of publications he had.

The story was good. The audio book could have been a little better. I wasn't as fond of the narrator, but I suppose I'm just pleased there was an audio book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pebble in the Sky.

Quotes Mary Anne Liked

Isaac Asimov
“Any planet is 'Earth' to those that live on it.”
Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky

June 21, 2012 –
June 23, 2012 –
June 24, 2012 –
June 26, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Steve C I personally feel it's revisionist to describe this, a stand-alone novel, as part of a series. it isn't. However it's in the same milieu as the Foundation books and a few others, that of Asimov's Galactic Empire. It's a bit like arguing that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are part of the Middle Earth Series!