Lataun's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Oct 10, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Lataun by: Penny's book club
Recommended for: sci-fi fans or anyone who wants to break out of their box
Read in October, 2008

I think I would probably give this book 3.5 stars if I could. I liked it. It kept my interest. It's unlike anything I usually read. Just the fact that it was written by a 19 yr. old girl in 1816 facsinated me. The style of writing is so different from those of modern day. I felt like the words don't flow as easily and I found myself rereading parts to make sense of them. I can't read these types back-to-back, i.e. Jane Eyre, Persuasion by Jane Austen, etc.

disclamer: this contains a few spoilers, if you plan to read this book, don't continue.

The book: Very creative! There were so many characters that were intertwined with each other which made for some depth in the book. My friend, Cash, asked me who I was rooting for and I think at times I felt sympathy for the 'beast'. I wonder what would have happened if Frankenstein would have granted his wish of a mate. That could have been a whole different story. I thought the author could have taken a little more time describing the way the 'beast' was made. I was scared at times reading. A good book to read before Halloween. When he comes to Frankenstein in his bed at night thru the window...ahhh....mumbling and his arms outstretched. Scary!

A good moral to the story also, sometimes the things we seek after and spend so much time trying to achieve are not worth it and ruin us in the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

10/19/2008 page 90

message 1: by Cash (new) - added it

Cash What do you think? This book takes an interesting commitment...who are you cheering for?!?

Lataun Cash, I'm waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox. (anxiously waiting) I'm going crazy not having something to read. I'd like to see what you've read (are reading).