Amy's Reviews > The Ha-Ha

The Ha-Ha by Dave King

Oct 10, 2008

bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2008

This book has real heart. It is a well-written and moving story of Howard, a man wounded in Vietnam who can't speak or write, and how taking care of the 9-year old son of a dear friend touches him much more than he expects.

I found in the author interview that Dave King is also a poet, and it shows in his writing. His words are well chosen and evoke a poignant response. For instance, here are a couple of sentences of a description of Howard watching the 9-year old play baseball: "Suddenly I realize how parents become idiots: for the present, my woes with Timothy and Sylvia are forgotten, and I want to call out Ryan's name, blow kisses, and make boisterous jokes 'til he turns around. ... The moment is mine, and the blue sky casts a golden light."

I also liked how the author makes us *live* the story through Howard. He doesn't go into long descriptions of why things are the way they are; we just live them through Howard's first person experiences and actions. And, it is through Howard's experiences and actions that you understand some of what he suffers.

Well worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ha-Ha.