Shannon's Reviews > Home from the Sea

Home from the Sea by Mercedes Lackey

liked it
bookshelves: romance, magic, fantasy, fairies

This was a real mixed bag for me. First off, loved seeing Sarah and Nan again, but their story wasn't great and I would have expected more interesting and independent things out of them. Mari was also interesting but while we start everything from her viewpoint, we eventually lose it entirely until the end, and that just didn't make her overly interesting.

At the beginning, Sarah and Nan also comment about a remarkable family of archaeologists and the woman - Sitt Hakim - who carried a spectacular parasol. Clearly referencing Amelia Peabody, but it strikes me as odd and more than a bit fanfic to borrow another author's characters like that, even in passing.

The best way to describe this and other recent novels by Lackey is to say she writes a strong story and there are strong characters, but they are running on parallel tracks and never meet - one step in either direction would make this either an addictive read or a downright disaster, but it just hovers in the middle. And I find this really aggravating for an author I loved for messing with some classic tropes and putting out characters with heart, heartache, death, characters who were gay, straight, bi and NOT PERFECT!!

The book is ok, but it really wasn't satisfying on any count.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home from the Sea.

June 17, 2012 – Shelved