Sarah5's Reviews > Her Highness, the Traitor

Her Highness, the Traitor by Susan Higginbotham

Jun 17, 2012

This novel focuses on the turbulent time in England after the death of King Henry VII. The throne is inherited by his son, Edward who is only 9 years old and sickly. Power lies in the hands of the protector, the Duke of Northumberland. This novel is told through the fictional eyes of characters based on two real people - Frances Grey (mother of Lady Jane Grey and niece of Henry VII) and Jane Dudley (the wife of the protector). We learn about the plot to put Jane Grey on the throne by bypassing the two daughters of Henry VII; Lady Mary and Lady Elizabeth.

This is well-written and researched. It gives a fascinating insight into this historical time and particularly highlights the difficulties faced by women. I enjoy historical novels set around Tudor times but typically Frances Grey and her husband are portrayed as evil ambitious parents but here, it shows a more balanced view of events and the complexities around the monarchy and religion at this time.

This was hugely enjoyable and would recommend it to all historical fiction lovers and I will definitely read more by this author in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Highness, the Traitor.