Kerri's Reviews > Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod

bookshelves: books-for-teaching-writing, boy-books
Recommended to Kerri by: Mike Stitt
Recommended for: Paulsen lovers
Read in November, 2008

I am not one for reading the nonfiction genre, but I really got into this book. Not only did I learn so much about the things involved in running and preparing for the Iditarod, but I also found myself laughing outloud at the most inappropriate times! Paulsen's style of writing made me smile in one chapter and want to cry in the next one.

I found my "teacher" side coming out quite often as I read. There was more than one chapter that caught my eye for various reasons, but the chapter called "Skwentna" has the very best lead for a flashback kind of story! He also created more snapshots and exploding moments than any other book I have read.

Even though there are some questionable situations and a little foul language, I think this is a wonderful book for a teenage guy to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winterdance.

Susan Gary Paulsen leads a life like no one else! He just decides one day to get up a team and run the Iditarod. No experience, no knowledge of how to begin, but off he went! It did make me laugh out loud - howls of laughter. When the team of dogs ended up hanging from a perilous overhang, held up only by their reins, that was ultimate Gary Paulsen! It's crazy and fun and hysterical and has a serious side, too. It's a side of Paulsen we don't see in his books for kids.