Ian Cattanach's Reviews > The Secret Diaries of Juan Luis Vives: A Novel

The Secret Diaries of Juan Luis Vives by Tim Darcy Ellis

U 50x66

Read 3 times. Last read August 17, 2020.

Three words, Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

This masterly written and fascinating account of the life, struggle and genius of Juan Luis Vives, in his plight for survival, salvation and love, had me compelled to continue reading, almost without halt. I simply couldn’t put the book down and found that the way in which the most intimate thoughts of our antagonist flowed from the pages of his secret diary, illuminated, in the finest colour, detail and even odour, the intricate and often perilous environment in which he was forced to navigate.

This is a stunningly vivid tapestry of lives and events, as carefully woven together in this book, as they were precariously entwined in reality.

The immense powers at play during this period of European history juxtaposed to the delicate and heart-warming account from this most unexpected hero, not only illuminate the struggle of seemingly unreconcilable opposites, but also humble us to the realisation that it is the individual behind every great heave in human history, that the smallest and frailest holds the power of great change.

I cannot do enough to recommend this book, written with a deep passion for truth and a keen eye for the meaning found in life’s detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diaries of Juan Luis Vives.

August 17, 2020 – Started Reading
August 17, 2020 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
August 17, 2020 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2020 – Shelved
August 17, 2020 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2020 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
August 17, 2020 – Finished Reading
August 17, 2020 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2020 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)