Jenna Rideout's Reviews > Why Can't Life Be Like Pizza?

Why Can't Life Be Like Pizza? by Andy V. Roamer

bookshelves: read-netgalley

Thank you to the author, Andy V. Roamer, for sending a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review through Silver Dagger Book Tours.

Why Can't Life by Like Pizza is a school year in the life of a teenage boy from an immigrant family who is questioning his sexuality. It's told in the form of diary entries and holds nothing back. We see the main character RV's dysfunctional family on the verge of falling apart while his best friend's equally dysfunctional family actually does. We see him question whether or not he could possibly be gay (or bi, or any of many other different labels) as he muses about his school's Gay Alliance club, develops feelings for his male lab partner, and forms a close bond with his Latin teacher, who is an openly gay man and no stranger to being persecuted for it.

I didn't enjoy the beginning of this book, and if I had picked it up entirely on my own and didn't owe a review, I would not have pushed through and finished. I didn't like RV at first and downright hated his family. Thankfully I did owe a review and did push through because I ended up loving this book! Its saving grace comes in the form of RV's many visits to his Latin teacher's hospital room after the man has been brutally attacked leaving a gay bar early in the school year. The mentorship and life lessons displayed during these interactions made me feel a myriad of emotions and want to push this book on everyone I know despite how I felt about the beginning.

I'm glad that this book has a sequel as I didn't feel the ending was a true ending. The book ends with the school year, leaving so many unanswered questions. The stakes for RV remained fairly low throughout the book, so it didn't feel like he got any major answers or resolutions. I hope that the sequel picks up right where this one left off so we can all get the rest of the story.

Overall I rate this book 4 stars out of 5, as I can't ignore the rough start or the non-ending, but the meat of this book is truly worth reading.

Trigger warning for domestic violence.

I read this title for a blog tour! To read the rest of the post and gain easy access to the rest of the tour, visit: https://www.westveilpublishing.com/?p...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Can't Life Be Like Pizza?.

August 16, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read