Kristin 's Reviews > Monster in My Closet

Monster in My Closet by R.L. Naquin

Jun 16, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, urban-fantasy, favorites
Read from June 20 to 23, 2012

We've all been afraid of monsters in our closet or under our beds when we were kids. But when Zoey was 5 years old, she really did have a monster in her closet. So imagine her surprise when she wakes up one morning and finds the closet monster from her childhood is not only sitting at her kitchen table, drinking coffee, reading the newspaper and humming... but making muffins as well! Not only are the monsters in our closets real but so are incubi, pixies and brownies as well (no not the baked chocolate dessert). Apparently Zoey is a "helper". It's in her nature to help others and the "hidden" are starting to flock to Zoey for help, which is where she meets all these new and different creatures. Not only are these creatures of folklore real but apparently she has gained the unwanted attention of an incubus.

Let me start out by quoting the first paragraph of the book, just so you get a snippet of how awesome this book is.

"Of all the possible weapons I might have grabbed, I chose a toilet brush. The men's boxers and oversized Hello Kitty t-shirt I wore reinforced my feeling of absolute stupidity. I made a mental note to buy myself a baseball bat, should I live through the next few minutes. And maybe some grownup pajamas."

I really liked this story. I liked all the creatures that Naquin brought to the table. I must admit that I had no idea what a brownie was at the time of reading this but when Zoey starts cleaning off barbie furniture for them to use when they show up to her house for help, you get a sense of their size and between that and her description of them, I could easily picture them in my mind. Not only were the creatures unique in the story but the humans that are involved are different as well. Zoey's meets a guy at the beginning of the book named Andrew who can see auras, has an herb shop and can whip up a tea that can cure just about anything. Oh yeah... and he has a Fennec Fox as a pet! You see what I mean? Naquin not only wrote a fabulous story but she thought outside the box throughout the entire thing.

If you are looking for a fun new urban fantasy that is not your typical vampire, shape shifter, angel, ghost... whatever... this is the book. You won't find ANY of the typical creatures that are in the mainstream books in Monster in My Closet.

Favorite quote...
"Nice one, Zoey. You did everything short of farting in there. Maybe if you see him again, you can tell him you have a yeast infection."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster in My Closet.

Quotes Kristin Liked

R.L. Naquin
“Nice one, Zoey. You did everything short of farting in there. Maybe if you see him again, you can tell him you have a yeast infection.”
R.L. Naquin, Monster in My Closet