Megan (Read. Write. Ramble.)'s Reviews > The Council of Mirrors

5519828
Jun 16, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from June 16 to 25, 2012

This is a Middle Grade Series that I started reading somewhere around third grade. A couple of summers ago, I had read the eighth book in the series and remembered why I loved these characters so much. So when I was in Book of Wonder a few weeks ago, I could't resist picking up the last book in the series, signed by Michael Buckley.
Since this is a series that I'm sad to see end, I'll list some of the things I loved about it.
1. The illustrations. Just like the cover images only in black and white, the drawings by Peter Ferguson are periodically spaced into the story. And they only enhance the books. I loved all of the sketches.

2. The characters. Not only did I love them when I was in third grade, but they grow up enough throughout the series for me to still relate to them years later. From Daphne with her little quirks like biting the palm of her hand when she's excited to Sabrina with her moodiness and typical teenager attitudes, I loved these sisters. Granny Relda was the sweet caretaker that the girls needed. Other supporting characters were great too like Mr. Cannis and all of the other family friends from the fairy tales. I got almost as excited as Daphne every time a new fairy tale character showed up.
3. Puck. He gets his own reason because I love him that much. He's the Trickster King, Prince of the Faeries, and spends every waking moment pulling pranks on people. He's immature and has a firm belief in never growing up. Why would he when he can spend all of his days driving Sabrina insane? And that's a lot of days when you're an Everafter and live forever. Let's just say that by the end of the series, Puck changes a little bit, but he's still the same character I've loved since the beginning. He just gains a little bit of maturity.

4. The plot. This series had so many surprises and twists and turns that I couldn't ever see coming. Some of them broke my heart along the way. I really felt for these characters, so when they were going through a hard time I really felt for them. I liked where the story line of this series went and how it grew and changed as the characters did. Michael Buckley did a great job of creating this series.

This series is just a fun, quick read that anyone can enjoy. I loved the ending, but I'm still sad that the series ended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Council of Mirrors.