Melinda's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

Jun 16, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, cooking, worth-owning
Read in June, 2012

I really enjoyed this cookbook. Written to encourage all cooks to make from scratch the foods that you normally pick up already made. I have made my own biscuits for years and have told any and all that it is easier and tastier to make my own rather than use canned biscuits. This cookbook follows up on that and gives recipes for basic packaged staples many families buy.

Make a real cake instead of a boxed one. Make real icing instead of canned icing. Make our own ketchup. Your own mix for pancakes and waffles. (why use bisquik!?) Even make your own pop-tarts! The picture on the front is of a variety of homemade pop-tarts, and they look yummy! I confess I have never liked pop-tarts, except the crust. The edges. I used to buy pop-tarts in my single pre-cooking days. I never really liked them, but I would eat the crust around the edges because that was the part I liked best. Well here is a great recipe using pie dough. Yea!

The section on pasta has encouraged me to get my pasta making stuff out and have another try at making my own noodles.

Lovely pictures, sweet stories about the author and her family, and encouraging recipes! What's not to like?!

*****

Best lines in the book are from the section at the very end on whipped cream. "Life is too short to eat food that doesn't taste good. And if nothing else, let's eat REAL whipped cream." I agree!!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.