Peter Megyeri's Reviews > Harrow the Ninth

Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

liked it

This is a very strange book. I knew it when I started because I read the previous one. It's a bit different, but it's really strange nonetheless. Also, it was kind of hard to read. The whole universe is very well built but the reader is not being hand-held in any way while traveling through it. The language is also quite beautiful. Really poetic, but also really hard to read. In the end when everything starts to come together (although a lot remains not quite clear, at least for me) the pace quickens, but until that point, the flow of the story is very slow. All this didn't put me off the least and I feel how purely magical this whole thing is. I'm just a little afraid that a lot of this magic just went by me because of my language limitations.
It was not an easy ride, but I'll sign up for it once again as soon as the final book comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harrow the Ninth.

Quotes Peter Liked

Tamsyn Muir
“I could protect you, if you’d only ask me to,” said Ianthe the First. A tepid trickle of sweat ran down your ribs. “I would rather have my tendons peeled from my body, one by one, and flossed to shreds over my broken bones,” you said. “I would rather be flayed alive and wrapped in salt. I would rather have my own digestive acid dripped into my eyes.” “So what I’m hearing is … maybe,” said Ianthe. “Help me out here. Don’t be coy.”

Tamsyn Muir
“Her going full atria was perfectly over-the-top. The crew on your horrible flagships are always trying to martyr themselves whenever you so much as ask for an orange juice.”

Tamsyn Muir
“here and there someone had slapped on long wicked hairs as thick as your fingers. Which weren’t that thick. I’m just amending here; your fingers are fine.”

Tamsyn Muir
“I’d aim to get out of here alive, but our odds don’t look wonderful. If we stay put, we get squashed, or eaten. If we swim, we probably still get squashed or eaten.”

August 14, 2020 – Started Reading