airhead's Reviews > For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

U 50x66
Jun 15, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, i-loved-it-and-i-want-more

first reaction after finishing?
aaahhhh but we never got to see them (read them? that sounds weird...) kiss!!

i suck at giving things stars. i originally gave it 5 stars but then i thought about it and realised there were little things that bugged me a little while reading so... 4 stars to FDSTS! (imagine that in the voice dumbledore used to announce extra points at the end of HP 2)

ok, anyway. i've never read persuasion but this makes me really want to. usually I get bored with 'classics' (i think i'm going to blame it on high-school-english-syndrome in which english teachers manage to take any book - particularly classics - and make it boring and terrible even if it's actually really good) and don't have the patience to make it through to the end because it's not the kind of book I usually read, but FDSTS got me really intrigued as to what happens in Persuasion.

i felt so bad for elliot most of the time. she was stuck in a home she didn't like with no family to support her with her mother dead and her grandfather dying, but she did the best she could under the circumstances, working around her crazy crazy father while constantly being reminded of what she gave up. oh and her sister. wow, what a piece of work. but at least she was a bit more human by the end.

I definitely thought that there were bits that were kind of skimmed over or rushed (view spoiler) but... in the end I felt like that didn't matter so much because everyone got their happy ending!

the whole thing with the losts and the reduced confused me a bit. couldn't seem to figure out what exactly happened all those years ago. but like i said, in the end it didn't really matter because the rest was aweeeesome.

i did think kai was a douche at first (of course this was resolved by the end. in the end i thought he was awesome), but i guess that comes with the territory of all jane austen stories? oh, and i didn't see that twist with the captains coming!

oh, and was anyone else really confused as to what continent/country they could possible be in?

and they never kissed!! what is this crazy form of torture?!

i really want more - i wish we could have sequels that followed their adventures on the ship/to the islands. that would be really cool.

ok, i'm done

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Darkness Shows the Stars.