megs_bookrack's Reviews > If I Disappear

If I Disappear by Eliza Jane Brazier

liked it
bookshelves: arcs-read

**3.5-stars**

With a story as strangely compelling as its cover, If I Disappear, is perfect for Readers who prefer a more unconventional narrative.

After her divorce, Sera Fleece is a boat adrift. She spends her days listening to, and obsessing over, her favorite True Crime podcast, Murder, She Spoke.

When the podcast's host, Rachel Bard, suddenly stops posting, Sera doesn't take it well.

In fact, she suspects foul play is behind Rachel's sudden disappearance from the air waves.

Further, Sera believes, armed with clues left within the podcast itself, she will be able to find Rachel and possibly save her. She's the only one who can.

With this in mind, she travels to Rachel's hometown, Happy Camp, in Northern California to investigate.

Once there, she is able to locate Rachel's family ranch and secure a job through one conversation with Rachel's greatly eccentric mother, Addy.

Her duties will include working with the horses and general maintenance around the ranch; two things she's not necessarily qualified for.

Doubts aside, Sera sees this as the best opportunity to delve into Rachel's life and possibly discover what happened to her.

The strangest part is, no one else seems to be disturbed by Rachel's disappearance. Not her parents, her brother, the other ranch hand, or any of her previous acquaintances in town.

Sera is able to make some progress and soon it is clear, something is not right with the Bard family.

Even though she realizes she is putting herself in danger, Sera cannot leave without solving the mystery. She is the only person left to advocate for Rachel.

While the content of this story is extremely intriguing, the writing style did not work that well for me. I never settled into the fact that it is told in the second person.

I wish it wasn't, but honestly, I can't imagine it otherwise. I think it just didn't work for my taste.

I definitely needed to keep going. I wanted to find out the mystery of Rachel's disappearance as much as Sera did; even though Sera, as a protagonist, drove me a little batty.

Some of the elements involved in building the mystery seemed off for me, but overall it is a good story. It's tense and dramatic, with a whole host of suspicious characters, including Sera herself.

Additionally, there is some solid commentary in here on the treatment of girls and women within our society. I found that aspect interesting as well.

Overall, this is a solid debut and I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. I would absolutely pick up more stories from her.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Berkley, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

If I Disappear is slated to release on Tuesday, January 26th!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Disappear.

August 12, 2020 – Shelved
August 12, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
January 5, 2021 – Started Reading
January 5, 2021 –
10.0% "Second person narrative. I was not expecting that. This could take a while to get used to..."
January 6, 2021 –
18.0% ""
January 7, 2021 –
January 8, 2021 –
January 9, 2021 –
25.0% "Damn, this is slow."
January 9, 2021 –
49.0% "I wish I had something exciting or witty to day about this, but it's just sort of blah."
January 10, 2021 –
January 10, 2021 –
82.0% "Oh, snap!! Good twist!"
January 10, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
January 10, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Rana⚡ (new)

Rana⚡ I'm in love with the cover!! Cant wait for your review!

megs_bookrack Rana⚡ wrote: "I'm in love with the cover!! Cant wait for your review!"
I love it too, Rana ❤ It reminds me of Wilder Girls and I'm here for it!!!

Rebecka O'Malley Ooh, that sounds awesome!

megs_bookrack Rebecka O'Malley wrote: "Ooh, that sounds awesome!" Right!? I never seem to get tired of a podcast element in books!

Michael David Oh poo! I loved this one. I think my expectations were low, so maybe that helped? 🤷‍♂️ Great review, Megs!

megs_bookrack Michael wrote: "Oh poo! I loved this one. I think my expectations were low, so maybe that helped? 🤷‍♂️ Great review, Megs!" Hahah, I saw you loved it, Michael. It was super compelling. I'm not sure what about it sort of rubbed me the wrong way. It was good, I could not put it down, but there was just something about it. It honestly could be one that the longer I sit with it, the more I appreciate it, though. I am definitely excited to get more from the author. I liked how dark she went.

message 7: by Emerson (new) - added it

Emerson Sounds intriguing enough that I'll give it go. thanks for the review.

megs_bookrack Emerson wrote: "Sounds intriguing enough that I'll give it go. thanks for the review." Thanks, Emerson! It definitely is intriguing. I couldn't have stopped reading it if I tried. While the style and some of the choice made were wonky, it is still a good story. I am sure a lot of people will really enjoy it!

message 9: by Emerson (new) - added it

Emerson Yeah, I kinda like that with the book I'm reading at the moment. Thought I'd absolutely love it, but I'm very much in the 'meh' zone at the moment. Sharn't put it down though. I hate leaving a book unfinished.

megs_bookrack Emerson wrote: "Yeah, I kinda like that with the book I'm reading at the moment. Thought I'd absolutely love it, but I'm very much in the 'meh' zone at the moment. Sharn't put it down though. I hate leaving a book..." Same! It has to be a real waste of time for me to give up. It does happen, but it's pretty rare.