Purcheria's Reviews > Broken

Broken by D.M. McDaniel

Jun 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: books-on-my-e-reader, demons, emotional-baggage, angels, paranormal, romance, vamps, weres

Honestly, when I started this book I thought it was a contemporary book. After reading the synopsis, it read (to me at least) as a contemp. book about a woman unable to conceive and a new love that helps her heal...Or something along those lines. What I did NOT expect was a book about heaven and hell, shape-shifters, angels, demons and a vampire thrown in for good measure. However, that did not faze me and I continued on with my reading.
Now although the story was okay, I have to say that the writing did not appeal to me. I did not like it at all. It seemed very amaturish. And to be completely truthfull I did not like the main character. She was so damned annoying! As well as being whiny and childish. From this story we are told that she is about twenty-seven or twenty eight. But in one plotline she goes to a dance, kisses someone, the person takes off and the next day she tells her best friend (after crying all night,mind you) "he kissed me and left and I will never go to that party again". This is a friend's party she's been going to annually. I mean really dude.How old ARE you?! That's what I will expect my high school teen-aged daughter to come home and tell me when she goes to a party.
And throughout the book a lot of what happens does not ring true. I know, I know...It's supposed to be UF or whatever, but there were A LOT of coincidences in this book, too many if you ask me, too many to be plausible.
I did give it a 2.5 rating because I did want to know what happened in the end, andit did capture my imagination somewhat, but not enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

June 15, 2012 – Shelved