Julie Gardner's Reviews > Mick Harte Was Here

Mick Harte Was Here by Barbara Park

Jun 15, 2012

bookshelves: ya-realistic-fiction, book-club-6

Wow. I did not expect such a powerful book from the writer of Junie B. Jones.

Phoebe's brother Mick is dead. She warns us of this in the first few paragraphs. "I don't want to make you cry. I just want to tell you about Mick. But I thought you should know right up front that he's not here anymore. I just thought that would be fair." This is the story of her family's loss and dealing with grief. It's about no easy answers in the face of loss, about being angry, about what to do when you don't know where to put the loss, and most importantly it's about finding joy again and about finding meaning in your pain.

The story is told in simple language that even struggling readers can handle, and at 88 pages it would be a good read-aloud too, although I will probably save for later in the year when I know more about my students and their own experiences with death and loss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mick Harte Was Here.

Quotes Julie Liked

Barbara Park
“They really liked each other, too. Not like boyfriend and girlfriend, I don't mean. But they both had naturally curly hair, and they both thought professional wrestling was real--which are two pretty strong bonds, when you think about it.”
Barbara Park, Mick Harte Was Here

June 15, 2012 – Started Reading
June 15, 2012 – Shelved
June 15, 2012 – Shelved as: ya-realistic-fiction
June 15, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2016 – Shelved as: book-club-6

Amanda Loved this book. Excellent read-aloud choice. Just read Wonder and was underwhelmed - this little book wowed me the way I wanted to be wowed by Wonder.

Julie Gardner Glad you liked one of them! :)

My favorite part was the conversation between phoebe and her friend about where to "put" him.

Amanda Don't get me wrong, I liked Wonder quite a bit. I just wanted it to be better. Needed it to be better.

Adrian I love how it started out!!! I felt like Phoebe was actually talking to me. It was AWESOME to read a book by an aouthor of a seris I loved write a book for teens!!!!!!!!